Chat with a Representative
So... what's lifesaving and why do we love it?? Well… what other sport will give you not only fun and diverse training in the pool, but provide you with the opportunity to earn money through a rare and sought after campus jobs, keep you fit whilst laughing with friends, and at the same time equip you with valuable life skills that you’ll keep forever?
At Warwick, Lifesaving is a club like no other, our relatively small membership means we all know each other very well – an inevitable result with weekly training sessions and numerous comps and socials! Although this makes for close friendships, we are always incredibly welcoming towards freshers and students of any year alike who would like to join our friendly and diverse group and try out lifesaving – everyone is always so keen to explain what we do and teach you what’s going on that you’ll be inundated with friendly faces to offer advice and guidance if needed!
So what do our training sessions actually entail? Lifesaving is divided into what we like to call Speeds (kind of like swimming but a LOT more interesting) and first aid (we basically teach first aid skills for courses and then *attempt* to put them into action as a team in a competition-style emergency scenario – with varying levels of success!). Read more about the exciting things we get up to here, including diving under obstacles and towing manikins in torpedo bouys as a relay team, car fires, cave ins and chemical lab malfunctions.
We also run courses throughout the year including the Emergency First Aid at Work Qualification and the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification - the prerequisite to a part time campus (or elsewhere) job as a lifeguard! Visit our website for more info and to find sign up links to recieve updates about our courses.
2020-21 WELCOME WEEK EVENTS:
- Tuesday 29th Sept - Virtual Sports Fair. Join us online anytime between 10am and 5pm to ask us any questions you may have about lifesaving live! Simply type your question into the platform and members of our exec will be online ready to answer your question. This event is organised by the SU, so details of how to join will be provided by them, but please feel free to message us on facebook/instagram or drop us an email (as always) if you're having any issues finding the page!
- Thursday 1st Oct - Stall on the piazza. Find us on the piazza on campus 12pm until 2pm to chat about lifesaving, meet a few members of our exec in person, and find out all about what we do!
- Saturday 3rd Oct - Online Social. Come along to chat, meet the club, and have some fun! To be added to the Microsoft Teams invite list, please drop us an email with your student number and name, at email@example.com.
Fill in this 2020-21 Interest Form to stay updated with our events and taster sessions!
2020-21 TASTER SESSIONS (WEEKS 1 & 2):
All of our sessions are taster sessions until the end of Week 2, meaning you don't need a membership to give our sessions a go! Due to the University's Track and Trace system, you will need to book onto these sessions before attending (booking is now live!). Details on how to do this are provided below, but please please message or email us if you are having any issues with this! These sessions are at the same times as the rest of our Term 1 training sessions:
- Mon 12:30 - 13:50 in the Sports Hub Swimming Pool (5th Oct & 12th Oct)
- Weds 11:30 - 13:20 in the Sports Hub Swimming Pool (7th Oct &14th Oct)
- Thu 18:00 - 19:50 in Westwood Games Hall Lecture Room (8th Oct &15th Oct)
- Fri 18:30 - 20:00 in the Sports Hub Swimming Pool (9th Oct & 16th Oct)
Meet us on poolside for the Monday, Wednesday and Friday taster sessions - you won't need any special equipment, just wear a swimming costume! Changing facilities are open, but you may wish to arrive 'beach ready' (already wearing swimming costume under clothes) due to COVID-19 and since the booking system will only let you swipe your card through the barriers 10 minutes before the sesison. Our dry training session on Thursday session in Westwood Games Hall can be difficult to find so you might find this campus map helpful.
SESSION BOOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Go to the Warwick Sport website
- Make sure you're logged in with your university student number
- Click 'Book an activity'
- Search for 'zz lifesaving'
- Select and book onto the sessions you wish to attend!
Please note that we have a finite number of places available so please only book onto a session if you're actually going to turn up to prevent others from missing out! Booking can be done up to 7 days in advance and cancelled anytime.
You can also find a calendar detailing all our Welcome Week Events, Taster and Training Sessions, Competitions and events here.
Please visit our website to find loads more useful info - we can't wait to meet you!
Lifesaving sport is possibly the most demanding multi-discipline sport that exists in the world today. Connected so closely with the noble act of lifesaving, speed lifesaving offers enjoyment, challenges and learning to all ages and abilities.” - RLSS 2006