We are Warwick Game Design Society - we make games. Video games. Card games. VR games. Board games. You can be a programmer, artist, writer, designer, musician, animator, modeller, or not yet know what you want to be. No prior experience is required so come along and get stuck in!
We may also run some events over Discord, and that's where we'll be most active outside of events, so please join our server: https://discord.gg/yqRwbPJ
Workshops/Showcases - Wednesday 2-6pm
The workshop is a drop-in session for people to come along, collaborate with others on games and bounce ideas off one another. We welcome people who want to show off what they're working on, find playtesters, and get feedback, so don't be shy if you've got something to show!
At the Book Club, running at 5pm each workshop, we discuss topics in game design. Themes from past years include:
- Choose Your Own Adventure Games: what is a "meaningful choice" in games?
- Exploration in Games: how open-world games make exploring the world compelling
- What defines an RPG: The blurred lines between videogame genres
- Accessibility in Games: Designing with player ability in mind
We're also planning to run sessions on how to use the Unity game engine, after a successful few sessions online (which are available on our YouTube). Each one will bring you closer to making your own games!
Talks - Thursday 6pm
We hold talks by games industry professionals and society members. We've had diverse topics in the past, such as:
- Surviving your first game jam: how to prepare your tools and get into a healthy mindset before jamming
- Making your game stand out: tips to make the first 5 minutes stand out in a crowd and things to avoid doing
- How AAA games are made: the roles in a AAA team and the process from planning to release
- Introducing narrative in games: making narrative a key part of the design process
- How to make music for games: the tools available and a bit of introductory music theory
There's also usually a Lightning Talks session once a term for anyone to have their five minutes in the limelight talking about any game design topic they fancy.
We also hold showcase sessions on some weeks - anybody in the society can show off their games to get feedback in realtime. Don't be shy - it's great to be proud of what you've created!
Pub Social - Thursday (after the talk)
We usually head to the Phantom Coach in Canley after every talk. It's a good excuse to chat to everyone in the society and enjoy some reasonably priced food! If you live on campus, it's a short walk and we'll be able to guide you back afterwards.
Around twice a term, we host a Game Jam during the weekend. A theme is announced at the start and you're free to use whatever tools and assets you'd like to make a game by the end! Working in teams is greatly encouraged but not enforced. They're a great event for prototyping new ideas, or you can just use them as an excuse to work on a longer-term project! In the past, we've had:
- Collaboration with Warwick Tabletop Games and Roleplaying Society on a board games jam
- A narrative-focused game jam
- Access to our HTC Vive to make VR games
- A Global Game Jam site every year
- Ludum Dare sites wherever possible
We hold other regular and one-off events whenever the opportunity arises, including:
- A Gaming Social once a term to play local multiplayer games such as Jackbox, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, board games, Nidhogg, Ultimate Chicken Horse and Super Smash Bros - it's great fun!
- The WGD Quiz at the end of each term - test your gaming knowledge and you might win a prize!
- Trips to EGX and Rezzed - two of the biggest annual gaming events in the UK!
- Trips to the V&A Videogames exhibit, GameCity in Nottingham, and Interactive Futures in nearby Leamington Spa!
There are one-off events in the pipeline all the time so look out on our social media channels for more information!
- Website: http://www.warwickgamedesign.co.uk/
- Warwick SU: https://www.warwicksu.com/societies/warwickgamedesign/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/warwickgd/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/WGDSoc
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/WarwickVGDSoc
- Email us: email@example.com
- Chat with us on Discord: https://discord.gg/yqRwbPJ
Our exec members
For the 2020/21 academic year, the executive committee is as follows:
- Daniel Ilett - President, Welfare Officer;
- Joseph Keane - Treasurer, Secretary;
- Joshua Aubrey - Events Officer.
If you have any further questions, shoot us a message!