View PDF Download Plain Text Version
Term 2 2021-22 Impact Report
It was a busy 2nd term here at your Students’ Union, with the return of our Varsity sporting showdown against Coventry SU, our annual Spring Officer Elections and plenty of campaign work taking place to amplify the student voice.
Read on for further details about the support, representation and social activities we delivered for the students of Warwick last term.
SU Advice Centre
- We supported 227 students in Term 2, with issues across:
- Academic complaints and disciplinaries
- User feedback:
- 96% were satisfied with the advice they received
- 97% would use the Advice Centre again
- 97% would recommend us to a friend
- In January, we collaborated with Warwick Accommodation to deliver a digital Housing Day, to support students navigating the private housing market, and to help them secure accommodation for next academic year.
Spring Officer Elections
We held our annual Spring Officer Elections to elect your 2022-23 Full-Time and Part-Time Officers:
- 4,100 voters (350+ increase from last year's Elections)
- 70+ candidates nominated themselves for the positions
- We collaborated with University departments and schools for greater support with our voting booths and voting membership
Our Part-Time Women’s Officer secured a partnership with menstrual health brand ‘Here We Flo’ and distributed over 7,000 tampons and 5,000 sanitary towels across campus.
Good Night Out
This campaign aims to help venues to better understand, respond to and prevent sexual harassment and assault, through specialist training and policy support. Our Sports Officer has now facilitated training for staff from Smack, Neon, Moo and Neighbourhood, with the Old Library and Benjamin Satchwell (Wetherspoons) also signed up to the training.
8 volunteers created a series of informative video blogs around the topic of consent and what it means to them.
Gender Expression Fund
We introduced a fund for transgender, non-binary and gender-non-conforming students, where they could apply for up to £50 to spend on gender-affirming items.
Rate Your Landlord
Having collected over 700 student reviews about past and current landlords on the Rate Your Landlord platform, we held the first Rate Your Landlord Awards at Scarman House, hosted by our Welfare and Campaigns Officer.
Bus Service Improvements
Following complaints about the bus service to and from campus, our Welfare and Campaigns Officer worked with Stagecoach to make improvements to the bus service, including the recruitment of new drivers, duplicate buses scheduled after POP! and commitments to continue monitoring the campus bus service.
- 14,000 students went to POP!
- 29 different societies participated in our first ever Soc Fest!
- 900 students attended the Varsity 2022 opening showcase from Warwick and Coventry
- 110 international students attended our Pizza and Games event hosted by our International Students’ Officers
- 150 people came to a film screening of ‘Trust’ for Sexual Violence Awareness Week
- 150 people visited our two Take a Break stands in the Atrium, one of which was hosted by our Disabled Students’ Officer
We also hosted a poetry evening in Curiositea, a Valentine’s Crafternoon, a parent and carer crafting session and an event in collaboration with the University’s Wellbeing Services and Study Happy, for University Mental Health Day.
Outlets and Venues
Warwick students had a great time eating and drinking in their SU. Between you, you got through:
- 726 Bread Oven specials
- 1,421 Curiositea specials
- 4,271 Curiositea paninis
- 44,574 Pints of purple
- 36,192 Jungbombs
In the 2022 Varsity competition, Warwick won 39 fixtures (compared to Coventry’s 19), resulting in our 31st Varsity victory!
Our sports clubs played 753 BUCS league fixtures, recording 389 wins!
- Football – Warwick Men’s 1 (Runners Up)
- Tennis – Warwick Men’s 1
- Volleyball – Warwick Men’s 1 (Runners Up)
- Volleyball – Warwick Women’s 1
- Dodgeball – Warwick Men’s 1
- Dodgeball – Warwick Women’s 1 (Runners Up)
- Pool – Warwick Mixed 1
Individual National Medals:
- Badminton – 1 x Bronze
- World Taekwondo: 2 x Gold, 1 x Bronze
- International Taekwondo Federation: 1 x Gold, 3 x Silver, 3 x Bronze
- Trampolining – 2 x Silver, 1 x Bronze
During Term 2, we made sure you were kept up-to-date about everything happening at the SU via our communications channels. Across the Term, we’ve had:
- 9,500+ students regularly reading our weekly e-newsletter with updates from the SU
- 1.1 million page views on the SU website
- 1.3 million impressions across our posts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
We also ran multiple competitions across our social media channels! We gave away:
- 2 x POP! Passes (entry into every POP! of Term 2) for people who tagged us at Varsity games
- Food and drink vouchers for people who engaged with us on Instagram
- A bundle of SU merch (including a hoodie, coffee cup, lanyard, POP! ticket, Skool Dayz tickets and food & drink vouchers) for the ‘Your Union’ quiz (look out for the next one at the end of Term 3!)
Always something for you!