Drama, music, opportunity, Opera! Opera Warwick is the place to be for hardcore fans of opera and complete beginners alike. Our mission is to emphasise the fun in opera, and dispell the myth that opera is for the old and boring. Recognising that the world of opera sometimes feels inaccessible for many, we hope to introduce a love of opera to a whole new generation, and create opportunities for artists and performers who might not otherwise get a chance to work with operatic material. Our aim is to nurture all those with a creative urge; be you a singer, actor, musician, director, conductor, designer, writer, or someone who just wants to give it a go!
What we do
We aim to put on at least one production each year, giving all our members a chance to get involved in the process of putting an opera onto the stage. And that's not all!
- Screenings - we love to watch operas, and love getting together to enjoy a variety of productions together
- Socials - any performer will agree, one key to a successful show is cast & crew bonding! Check our facebook to keep up to date with our social events throughout the year
- Fun shows - Is there an iconic aria you've always wanted to sing, but without the pressure of the full opera? Our fun shows take the music of opera classics, and set them to a totally new, silly story. Past fun shows include Drag Race: The Opera and Sleepy Hollow, a Murder Mystery!
- Concerts - Each year we have at least one concert, allowing singers to showcase what they have been working on, plus some chorus songs for fun!
- Workshops - We are very lucky to have a number of theatre professionals come in for one-off masterclasses and workshops throughout the year, sharing their expertise of working in the acting and singing professions.
- Main Show! - Our main production usually happens in Term 2 in the Arts Centre Theatre. This is a wonderful opportunity to perform or work backstage in a professional theatre setting.
- Term 3 show - If you feel like trying your hand at directing or producing, our Term 3 show might be the perfect thing for you. This usually takes place in the Studio Theatre or another slightly smaller venue. With a smaller cast and team, this show is a great chance for those who want a break from revision!
President(s) - Alexandre Shinebourne & Farbod Salamat-Zadeh
Treasurer - Alexander Khadir
Secretary & Safety Officer - Rebecca French
(More roles to be filled soon...)
President - Elfi Wallisser
Treasurer & Vice President - Alexandre Shinebourne
Musical Director - Farbod Salamat-Zadeh
Secretary & Safety Officer - Megan Livermore
Social Secretaries & Welfare Officers - Rebekah Lally & Lucy Rose Nixon
Outreach Officer & Equal Opportunities Officer - Ruby Turok-Squire
Marketing Manager & Equal Opportunities Officer - Kirsty Scheiby
Workshops Officer - Michael Luya
February 2020 - The Bartered Bride by Bedrich Smetana
June 2019 - The Beggar's Opera by John Gay, with re-written Jazz score by our own Theo Caplan!
February 2019 - La Vie Parisienne by Jacques Offenbach
June 2018 - H.M.S Pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan
January 2018 - Hansel and Gretel by Engelbert Humperdinck
June 2017 - The Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan
February 2017 - Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss II
June 2016 - The Threepenny Opera by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill
January 2016 - The Marriage of Figaro by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
January 2015 - Carmen by Georges Bizet
June 2014 - The Coronation of Poppea by Claudio Monteverdi
January 2014 - Don Giovanni by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart