Posted on Mon 17 Dec 2018 at 13:25 by Christopher Carter
Alongside SU President Liam and PG Officer Ellie, I recently met with Stagecoach to discuss the many, many student concerns around their service. As per the feedback we’ve been receiving over the last term, the issues we talked about included:
- The number of buses
- The difficulty of getting a bus from North Leam
- What time the last buses are
- Buses to areas such as Sydenham and Warwick
So, first up, it’s worth stating that pretty much everyone has an issue with the transport infrastructure at this university! It’s not fit for purpose, and students spend hundreds of pounds on services which frequently let us down when we need them most. However, it’s clear from our previous bus campaign that we can make a difference when we coordinate our efforts and retain a specific focus.
Stagecoach have promised to listen to us, but we need your help. Since they are a private company which is not affiliated to or connected with the SU, there is only so much we can do - which is why it can be a little frustrating for us to be told to simply “Fix the buses”! What we therefore really need from are the following…
- Your stories of when the buses have let you down;
- Details of missed services and the impact this had on you;
- Your pictures of overcrowded stops;
- Photos or videos of dangerously full buses
- As much detail as you can give us about that time you had a 10am seminar and the U1 drove straight past you, leaving you trapped in North Leamington weighing up spending the last of your money for the term on an Uber just to make a monitoring point and have an hour-long chat about the philosophy of Edmund Burke (something similar may have happened to me… I couldn’t possibly comment).
The same goes for National Express – their new buses may be fancy, but if they aren’t turning up on time or are always full, it’s simply not good enough when we’re paying for a service that doesn’t live up to what was promised at the time of purchase.
Don’t just whinge about it – it’s time to raise your voice. We’re ready to represent you to the bus companies and fight for your interests, but you need to let us know what’s wrong. Please drop me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if anything like that happens to you, or FB message or Tweet the details to the SU – the more evidence we receive (and the more detailed that evidence is), the better we’re able to build our case!