Hi, my name is Nia (2nd History and Politics Student), and I am running for the position of the ethnic minorities officer because I would like to be the voice for ethnic minority students while promoting inclusion and diversity.
I am Sierra Leonean however I was born and raised in Surrey, England. I have always been aware of being an ethnic minority as the region I grew up wasn’t particularly diverse; I regularly found myself being the only black girl in my classes. This all changed when I got into Warwick and was open to a campus that is saturated and proud of its diversity and inclusion of so many cultures and ethnicities.
What I want to achieve, if I am elected, is the following:
- Increase the diversity of events in the SU
- Create another club night in the week, making usage of both floors of the Copper Rooms, dedicated to playing music from different cultures (for example, Hip Hop, Afrobeats, Reggaeton, Punjabi, etc).
- Encourage cultural societies to do their events in the SU, like use of the Copper Rooms and the T-Bar
- Enhance the celebrations of cultures
- Independence days
- Dedication month (e.g., Black History Month, Latin Heritage Month)
- Increase cultural diversity of food on campus
- Lobby for an actual international foods aisle in Rootes Grocery Store
- Currently only a handful of cultures are catered for
- As an African, I don’t feel very seen as consumer. Plantains are sold for 89p each and if I want widely used seasoning, like all-purpose seasoning for example, I have to travel all the way to Coventry City Centre.
- Continue the growing variety of cultural food on the Piazza on Wednesdays
- Promote intolerance of any form of discrimination and injustice
- Lobbying for the change in policy within the SU
- It doesn’t make sense to have one person represent all ethnic minority groups at Warwick – this system is inherently flawed
- I want to make sure there is an active representative from each ethnic minority group to be part of the diversity committee
- I will look to the execs of cultural societies to understand the viewpoints of different ethnic group experiences here at Warwick
- I am currently part of the Welfare Committee in the SU
- Student ambassador for history
- I’m a UNIBUDDY
- I have shared my unique experience at Warwick (you might have seen me doing an IG takeover on the official University of Warwick page)
- I have great communication skills
- I am organised
- I am Intuitive
- I’m a great problem-solver
- I love meeting new people, especially with a different background to myself
So hey, I have an idea, vote for Nia
Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have, @Nia.Janice (Instagram)
Voting starts Monday 20 February so make sure you vote!!!