All Student Vote (Autumn 2019)
Switch to Ecosia as the default search engine on all campus computers
This motion asks your SU to mandate the DDO and Environment and Ethics Officer to lobby the University and SU to make Ecosia the default search engine.
This Union Notes:
This section should include any facts, figures or statements that you believe are relevant to the topic of your policy. Remember in this section clear and effective referencing is important.
- Ecosia is a search engine that uses over 80% of their benefits toward reforestation, more than 70 million trees have been planted on 22 tree planting project.
Ecosia financial report
Ecosia different projects
August Tree count
- Students are willing to make the switch, the 170 followers on Instagram and more than 50 subscribers on Facebook we rallied in only a few weeks demonstrate that wish.
Link to our Instagram account
Link to our Facebook Account
- Only five universities have already switched to Ecosia, but there are seventy campaigns in motions around the world, the SU would be praised for this green initiative.
Ecosia on Campus campaigns
This Union Believes:
This section should include opinions or supporting statements for your policy.
- Since the university declared a climate emergency it now has a responsibility to take action, in order to make a first step it can the switch to Ecosia.
- That the University should partake in more sustainable activities and encourage green initiatives.
- That the privacy of students is important and Ecosia aims at protecting its user’s online privacy.
- That there is no technical challenge to make the switch to Ecosia.
This Union Resolves:
This section should be about how you want the SU to react, the outcome of this policy. Remember to mandate specific departments/sabbatical officers; this will make things easier for future accountability
- To mandate the Democracy and Development Officer and the Environment and Ethics Officer to lobby the University and SU to make the change to using Ecosia as a default search engine
- Mandate the Democracy and Development Officer and Environment and Ethics Officer to ensure that the SU is actively partaking in initiatives aimed at resolving the climate crisis, and lobby the University to follow suit.