NUS Totum

Working in the UK

For detailed information on working during your studies, please see the UKCISA website.

For information about working after your studies have been completed, please also see the UKCISA website.

Other useful websites:

University Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Scheme
Home Office Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa
Home Office Tier 1 (Exceptional talent) visa
University Doctorate Extension Scheme (Tier 4)
Home Office Tier 2 (General) visa
Home Office Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa
Home Office Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and sporting) visa

National Insurance

To work in the UK:

  • You need to have the legal right to work in the UK

- and -

  • Either have a National Insurance Number or have applied for one.

    For information about National Insurance Numbers, please see the Government page.

You need a National Insurance Number if you intend to work, claim benefits or apply for a student loan.

If you were a UK resident when you were 16, you should have had one sent to you automatically.

Income Tax

You pay income tax on your income from paid employment. The tax is usually deducted from your salary, and how much you pay will depend on what you earn and any allowances you are eligible for.

For information on Income Tax, please see the Government page.

Claiming Income Tax Back

If you think you may have paid too much income tax, please see the Government webpage

Some of the situations in which you may be able to get a tax refund (rebate) include:

  • You are employed and have had too much income tax taken from your pay
  • You have stopped work.
  • You have sent a tax return and paid too much tax.
  • You have paid interest on savings and you are on a low income.