NUS Totum

Driving in the UK

Before you drive in the UK, you must make sure that:

  • You have a valid driving licence that allows you to drive in the UK;
  • You are covered by insurance to drive the car you are driving – it is a criminal offence to drive if you are not covered by valid insurance;
  • The car has a valid road tax and is fully roadworthy;
  • If it is not your car, you have permission from the car owner and you will be insured whilst driving it.

Non-EEA international students can drive in the UK on their international driving licence for up to a maximum of 12 months from the date they arrive in the UK. Thereafter, you can either exchange your international driving licence (please note that this only applies to certain nationalities) or obtain a British driving licence. It is essential that you either exchange your existing driving licence or obtain a UK driving licence before your existing licence expires.

Please see the GOV.UK and UKCISA websites for more information: