Click here for Dominos discounts

Renting Accommodation

Looking for accommodation might seem like a big challenge, but there is plenty of support available to help you.

Support for Undergraduates

First-year undergraduates

Accommodation for first-year students is allocated by the University’s accommodation service, Warwick Accommodation, provided the student applies as prompted during the application and admissions processes. Usually, all first years that apply will be housed on campus.

Second-year & returning undergraduates

The SU organises a Housing Day in conjunction with Warwick Accommodation towards the end of Term 1, to provide info on to the process of looking for accommodation for the next academic year. Currently, most undergraduate students look for their accommodation for the next academic year from November through to the start of the new academic year. Many students think that they need to find accommodation immediately following Housing Day in November – however, there is no need to panic, as good-quality properties are still available for a number of months after this event.

The main choices are between off-campus Warwick Accommodation-managed properties and renting through the private sector.

Support for Postgraduate Students

Through Warwick Accommodation, the University manages properties off-campus and has agreements with private student accommodation providers to house substantial numbers of students.

During the first few weeks of Term 1, the SU Advice Centre and Warwick Accommodation run information sessions to support postgraduate students looking for accommodation.

Remember: with planning and care, it need not be stressful. It is important to understand the options available to you, as well as the various rights you have. See here for information on Looking For Off-Campus Accommodation.

An outline of the different housing choices and their characteristics are set out below. Most students at Warwick University will generally choose accommodation that falls into one of the following categories:

  • Warwick Accommodation (University-managed accommodation, which can be on campus or off-campus);
  • Private rented accommodation – assured shorthold tenancy;
  • Living with a resident landlord.


Warwick Accommodation

Most Warwick Accommodation properties are for a fixed term, which means you cannot give notice to quit and will be liable for your rent during this period (or until a replacement tenant is found for your room). Where your landlord is the University, you are likely to only have basic protections as a tenant – see here for more information.

With properties managed by Warwick Accommodation, the University of Warwick is your landlord. A Property Manager based in Warwick Accommodation will have particular responsibility for your house. Your Property Manager will be able to give you help and advice throughout your tenancy, and you should inform them of any problems relating to your accommodation. See here for information on Warwick Accommodation.

Warwick Accommodation can be contacted by phone on 024 7652 3772, fax 024 7652 4887 or e-mail via

See here for more info relating to Warwick Accommodation.

If you have problems with your University-managed accommodation and cannot get it resolved, there is a complaints procedure for Warwick Accommodation.

Warwick Accommodation is a signatory to the Universities UK Code of Practice, but this only applies to campus halls of residence. For more information, please look at the following link:

All Warwick Accommodation properties, both on campus and off-campus (excluding Staff and Family Housing), will come with a level of personal possessions insurance.

Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Most accommodation with a private landlord, where the landlord is not living at the property, will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (regardless of what the contract says). There are certain statutory terms implied in every contract for an Assured Shorthold, and these terms cannot be excluded.

The main rights of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy are:

  • To live in your accommodation for a fixed period of time. For students, this is usually for 10-11 months, or it might be a periodic tenancy continuing from month to month.
  • You have a right to certain information both when you pay your deposit and at the beginning of the tenancy.
  • You control your home so that you can stop other people from entering freely. If the landlord does not respect this right, they might be in breach of your right to quiet enjoyment.
  • There are statutory and common law rights to have certain repairs done - for more information, please see our page on Disrepair.
  • The landlord cannot force you to leave your accommodation until they get a court order to evict you.

For more information on your rights as an Assured Shorthold tenant, see:

Living with a Resident Landlord

If -

  • You share accommodation with your landlord
    - or -
  • You live in the same building as your landlord and share accommodation with a member of your landlord's family,

- you are likely to be what is known as an ‘excluded occupier’, and have very limited rights without the legal protections that most tenants have.

If you start to have problems with your accommodation, it is important that you get advice and find out what your rights are. Generally, as an excluded occupier your only right is to stay until your landlord asks you to go, or for as long as your written agreement states. Your landlord can evict you by giving you reasonable notice (which can be verbal), and doesn't need a court order.

Useful links about accommodation and your rights

For more information on student accommodation:

For more information on your rights when renting from a private landlord: