Employment & Tax

The Students’ Union Advice Centre can advise you on looking for part-time employment. Information about the rules for International Students can be found on our International Students pages.

National Insurance and Income Tax

National Insurance Number

To work in the UK:

  • You need to have the legal right to work in the UK - and -
  • Either have a National Insurance Number, or have applied for one.

You need a National Insurance Number if you intend to work, claim benefits or apply for a student loan. If you were a UK resident when you were 16, you should have had one sent to you automatically.

For information about National Insurance Numbers, please see the Government webpage.

Income Tax

You pay income tax on your income from paid employment. The tax is usually deducted from your salary, and how much you pay will depend on what you earn and any allowances you are eligible for.

For information on Income Tax, please see the Government webpage.

Claiming Income Tax Back

If you think you may have paid too much income tax, please see the Government webpage.

Situations in which you may be able to get a tax refund (rebate) include:

  • You are employed and had too much income tax taken from your pay;
  • You have stopped work;
  • You have sent a tax return and paid too much tax;
  • You have paid interest on savings and are on a low income.

Rights at Work

The following websites can give you useful information about your rights at work.