STAFF 4 SPORTS: PLAIN TEXT MANIFESTO
I’m Liam Stafford, A.K.A “Staff”, a final year history student and I’m running to be your next sports officer.
- Squash Club: President & 1st Team Captain 2017/18
- SU Sports Exec Member 2016/17
- Squash Club: Coaching & Development Officer 2016/17
- Represented Wales at Junior Level
Get More Students into Sport
- Fun sporting events during week 0 – including a Sports Day that is bigger and better than ever!
- Re-Freshers’ Sports Day in term 2. Increasing opportunities for students to join a club if they missed out in October – it’s never too late to get involved!
- Support for minority groups (e.g. more female only exercise sessions & ethnic minorities campaign week).
- New Sports Centre = affordable facilities & membership. Will ensure students are not priced out.
- Continue to push the university for Wednesday afternoons being lecture-free. You should have the freedom to pursue a sport or hobby that you love on a Wednesday, without being penalised for it. Being a student is about far more than just getting a degree!
- Help develop student coaching through a clear pathway which benefits clubs and their members.
- Work with societies to improve intramural sport.
Build upon #TeamWarwick
- Return of “Game of the Week” feature, including a university-wide Snapchat account. To increase support and publicity for BUCS matches, and enhance the relationship between clubs.
- Performance programme: continued support for our elite student athletes to achieve their full potential, whilst also making the programme more sustainable, transparent and inclusive.
- Continue to push the boundaries for professional sport at Warwick (e.g. Premier Squash League, Wasps partnership, and more).
- Continue the key positive collaboration between sports clubs, Warwick SU and Warwick Sport.
- Increase support for “smaller” clubs on and off campus. E.g. “Club of the Month” feature to increase publicity, and creating more fundraising opportunities.
Support Physical & Mental Wellbeing
- Sport can, and should, be: fun, sociable, relaxing and stress relieving.
- Free activities during term 3 to help relieve exam stress and keep students active.
- Need to ensure that “Sport and Wellness Centre” isn’t just a tagline, and that there are facilities and opportunities to promote wellbeing, as well as sport.
- Revamped sports speaker series – for high-profile figures to give talks on important topics such as mental health, sexism, racism and homophobia in sport.
Your Sport. Your Voice. Your Choice.