Black Brilliance Launch Event
Event from SU Campaigns & Communities
Tue 26 October 2021 19:00-21:00
26/10/2021, 19:00 - 26/10/2021, 21:00
Tuesday 26 October 2021, 7.00PM - Tuesday 26 October 2021, 9.00PM
Go back to Events List
On the 26th of October 2021 at 7pm at Scarman House, Warwick Students' Union is hosting a launch event entitled ‘Black Brilliance’ to celebrate the rich history and stories of black people both in the University of Warwick community and beyond.
The event, which is being held in Black History Month, will be made up of informative panel discussions, inspiring stories and showcase our student groups that represent and empower the black community at Warwick. This event is open to all members of our student and alumni community.
Places are limited so sign up today.
*Please note, changes have been made to the agenda - please refer to the below:
- Opening address: Shingai Dzumbira, Warwick SU President – ‘My journey'
- Speaker One: Empowering black students to own and author their own narrative – Ceewhy Ochoga, Founder and CEO Black Impact
- Panel One: Learning to listen to the black student voice institutionally - An opportunity to delve into tough issues with University decision-makers on how they are taking steps to listen to the black student voice and addressing slightly uncomfortable issues that have been raised by black students at the University of Warwick such as Campus Security, names of buildings, culturally competent care, decolonising the curriculum, black mental health and admissions.
- Professor Olanrewaju Sorinola - Warwick Medical School
- Kulbir Shergill - Director of Social Inclusion, University of Warwick (Partner at Benton and Shergill; formerly KPMG and Grant Thornton LLP)
- Professor Beccy Freeman – Dean of Students, University of Warwick
- Keynote Speaker One: Ayo Afolabi – Senior Manager - IDSE and Black Leadership, Co-Chair of the African & Caribbean Network, KPMG UK London
- Exhibition: Showcasing the work of black student groups at the University of Warwick