All Student Vote (Autumn 2021)
Warwick SU for a Fair Democracy
This motion mandates the President to issue a public apology to the Warwick Jewish Society regarding actions to the society. It also asks to change ruling on negative campaigning for elections.
Warwick SU for a Fair Democracy
This Union Notes:
This section should include any facts, figures or statements that you believe are relevant to the topic of your policy. Remember in this section clear and effective referencing is important.
- That current candidate guidelines regarding negative campaigning regards ‘Negative campaigning [as] not acceptable. Criticising policies is allowed, but not people. Though you should always endeavour to keep the campaign positive. What is great about your manifesto rather than why someone else's is bad. If a candidate breaks any of the rules that have been communicated, sanctions will be taken.’ Ref. https://www.warwicksu.com/pageassets/student-voice/elections/rules-guidance/Autumn-Elections-2021-candidate-guide-updated.pdf
- That in the Spring Elections of 2021 SU Democracy threatened Warwick Jewish Society with disciplinary procedures regarding the Society publishing candidates’ policy positions on the IHRA definition of antisemitism. Ref. https://www.facebook.com/jsocwarwick
- That current candidate guidelines prevent the past policies of candidates from being criticised
This Union Believes:
This section should include opinions or supporting statements for your policy.
- That a fair democracy entails the critiquing of policy
- That Warwick Students’ Union shouldn’t silence the voices of ethnic minority students.
- That Warwick Students’ Union was wrong to threaten sanctions against Warwick Jewish Society.
- That candidates who have previously been elected to positions within the SU should be critiqued on their past policies when they were in those positions
This Union Resolves:
This section should be about how you want the SU to react, the outcome of this policy. Remember to mandate specific departments/sabbatical officers; this will make things easier for future accountability
- To change the current candidate guidelines regarding negative campaigning to ‘Negative campaigning is not acceptable. Criticising the policies a candidate intends to implement upon winning their election is allowed. Criticising the former policies of candidates; implemented in previous terms as officers, committee members, and NUS delegates during their terms in these roles is allowed. Criticising people, however, is not allowed. Criticising candidates for views other than those specified above is not allowed. Though candidates should always endeavour to keep the campaign positive. What is great about your manifesto rather than why someone else's is bad. If a candidate breaks any of the rules that have been communicated, sanctions will be taken.’
- To mandate the President to issue a public apology to Warwick Jewish Society; on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and by email; regarding Warwick Students’ Unions actions towards the Society.
- To ensure that the critiquing of policy is allowed; such as the critiquing of policy by Warwick Jewish Society in the Spring Elections of 2021.
- To ensure that societies are free to ask candidates about their stances on policies, and that societies are able to publish candidates’ stances or lack of a stance.