Vote Taj Ali For Ethnic Minorities Officer
Amplifying Ethnic Minority Voices
- If elected, I intend to hold weekly drop-in sessions open to all students from an ethnic minority background. This will enable students to raise important issues which I can then feedback to the Students’ Union.
- I hope to work with groups like Warwick Anti-Racism Society to set up networks of ethnic minority students, staff and local community groups in Coventry and Leamington Spa in order to support local community projects. This will foster a sense of solidarity. between different ethnic minority groups which will extend beyond the university.
- I will push for greater funding and support from the University for Black History Month, Holocaust Memorial Week and Islamophobia Awareness Month.
- Recognising different experiences within minority groups and actively listening and championing their voices.
- Encourage the university to support student-led campaigns such as the decolonise project to ensure the curriculum reflects the diversity of the student body.
Transforming University Culture
- Greater guidance for all staff including residential tutors to protect the rights of ethnic minority students and promote understanding of their cultural and religious needs.
- Promote alternative social events for freshers that don’t necessarily involve drinking in order to accommodate different cultural and religious beliefs and prevent feelings of isolation from ethnic minority students.
- I intend to make hate-crime reporting more accessible by working with the University to create an SMS service alongside an online service to report hate crime incidents.
- Encourage the University to take incidents of racial profiling more seriously. I will push for greater accountability and transparency for campus security.
- I will lobby the university to increase the number of Counsellors from an ethnic minority background to make mental health services more accessible to ethnic minority students.
- I believe we need an urgent review of mental health services at Warwick University. People from ethnic minority backgrounds are disproportionately affected by mental health issues and this can be exacerbated by a campus culture that often isolates them. Information needs to be accessible and mental health training should be provided to all staff.