Driving in the UK

Before you drive in the UK you must make sure that:

  • You have a valid driving licence that allows you to drive in the UK;
  • You are covered by an insurance to drive the car you are driving – it is a criminal offence to drive if you are not covered by a valid insurance;
  • Car has a valid road tax and it is fully roadworthy;
  • If it is not your car, you have a permission from the car owner to drive the car.

Non EEA international students can drive in the UK on their international driving licence for up to a maximum of 12 months from the date they arrive in the UK. Thereafter you can either exchange your international driving licence ( only certain nationalities) or obtain a British driving licence. It is essential that you either exchange your existing driving licence or obtain a UK driving licence before your existing licence expires.

Please see the GOV.UK and UKCISA websites for more information: