Dependants of Non-EEA Students

Generally, students can bring their dependants to the UK providing:

  • The period of their course is more than six months
  • The dependant is either a spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same sex partner and children who are under 18 years of age
  • There is sufficient money available to maintain and accommodate the dependants without recourse to public funds (how much money will be needed depends on the length of course, where in the UK a student will be studying and whether a student is already studying in the UK)

Following changes in the Immigration Rules on 6 April 2012, dependants can only apply to join you or remain in the UK as your dependant if either:

  • You are studying at postgraduate level course for 12 months or more at a Higher education institution or
  • You are a government sponsored student and following a course which is over 6 months long or
  • You and your dependants already have or had Tier 4 leave that expired less than 3 months ago and your course is over six months long and you and your dependants are applying at the same time

If your child is born in the UK during your studies, he/she can apply for leave to remain in the UK as your dependant.

Dependants are allowed to work without requiring permission to work.

For full and detailed information regarding your dependants including how to apply, application fees and evidence in support of the application please refer to the Gov.UK and UKCISA websites.

Dependants of EEA and Swiss Nationals

Please see the UKCISA website for information.

For further information and advice please contact either the Student Advice Centre or Immigration Service at the University.