Renting Accommodation

Renting Accommodation

Looking for accommodation might seem like a big challenge, but there is plenty of support to help you.


  • Support for Undergraduate Students

First year students

Accommodation for first year students is allocated by the University accommodation service Warwick Accommodation, providing they apply as prompted during the application and admissions processes. Usually all first years that apply will be on campus.

Second year & returning undergraduate Students

The Students’ Union organises a Housing Information Day in conjunction with Warwick Accommodation towards the end of Term 1, to provide information on how to look for accommodation for the next academic year. This provides an opportunity to ask questions and understand the process.

Currently most UG students look for their accommodation for the next academic year from November through to the start of the new academic year.

The main choices are between Warwick Accommodation off campus managed accommodation and renting through the private sector.

  • Support for Postgraduate Students

The University through its accommodation service Warwick Accommodation has campus, managed off-campus accommodation and agreements with private student accommodation providers to provide substantial numbers of students with accommodation.

During the first few weeks of term the Students’ Union Advice Center and Warwick Accommodation run information sessions to support postgraduate students looking for accommodation.

Remember with planning and care it need not be stressful. It is important to understand the options available to you, and the rights you have depending on the option you choose. For information on Looking For Off Campus Accommodation

An outline of what the different housing choices mean and their characteristics are set out below. Most students at Warwick University will generally choose accommodation that is one of the following:

  • Warwick Accommodation (University Managed accommodation which can be on campus or off-campus)
  • Private rented accommodation – assured shorthold tenancy
  • Living with a resident landlord


Warwick Accommodation

Most Warwick Accommodation properties are for a fixed term, which means you cannot give notice to quit and will be liable for your rent for this period or until a replacement tenant is found for your room. Where your landlord is the University you are likely to only have basic protections as a tenant.

For more information on Basic protection

The University of Warwick is your Landlord. A Property Manager based in Warwick Accommodation will have particular responsibility for your house. Your Property Manager will be able to give you help and advice throughout your tenancy and you should tell him/her of any problems relating to your accommodation. Information on Warwick Accommodation

Warwick Accommodation can be contacted by phone on 024 7652 3772, fax 024 7652 4887 or e-mail at

For answers to most of your questions regarding Warwick Accommodation

If you have problems with your University Accommodation, and cannot get it resolved there is a complaints procedure for Warwick Accommodation

Also Warwick Accommodation is a signatory to the Universities UK Code of practice, but this only applies to campus halls of residence.
For more information please look at the links below:

All Warwick accommodation, campus and off-campus (excluding Staff and Family Housing), will come with a level of personal possessions insurance.

If you have any questions or want more information, contact the Student Advice Centre

Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Most accommodation with a private landlord, where the landlord is not living at the property, will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, regardless of what the contract says. There are certain statutory terms implied into every contract for an Assured Shorthold and these terms cannot be excluded.

The main rights of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy are:-

  • To live in your accommodation for a fixed period of time, for students this is usually for 10-11 months; or it might be a periodic tenancy, continuing from month to month.
  • You have a right to certain information when you pay your deposit and at the beginning of the tenancy.
  • You control your home so that you can stop other people from freely entering. If the landlord does not respect this right s/he might be in breach of your right to quiet enjoyment.
  • There are statutory and common law rights to have certain repairs done, for more information please see our page on Disrepair.
  • The landlord cannot force you to leave your accommodation until s/he gets a court order to evict you.

If you have any questions or want more information, contact the Student Advice Centre

For more information on your rights as an Assured Shorthold tenant

Living With a Resident Landlord


  • You share accommodation with your landlord, or
  • You live in the same building as your landlord and share accommodation with a member of your landlord's family, or

If this describes your accommodation, then you are likely to be what is known as an ‘excluded occupier, and have very limited rights, without the legal protections that most tenants have.

If you start to have problems with your accommodation, it is important that you get advice and find out what your rights are. Generally as an excluded occupier your only right is to stay until your landlord asks you to go, or for as long as your written agreement says. Your landlord can evict you by giving you reasonable notice (which can be verbal) and doesn't need a court order.

If you have any questions or want more information, contact the Student Advice Centre

Useful links about accommodation and your rights
For more information on student accommodation

For more information on your rights when renting from a private landlord