Moving In

When you move in, you should have completed all the contractual processes, please see our page: Signing a Contract for Accommodation

For lots of tips and information also see our Guide to Moving Off Campus 2015/16.


Things to do when you move in

  • Please read the checklist to help you to get your deposit back 
  • Follow the landlord /agents moving in procedure
  • If there is an inventory, make sure you check that it is accurate and really reflects the condition of the property, as this document will be used to decide how much of your deposit is returned at the end of the contract.
  • If there is no inventory, you might want to consider producing your own and agreeing it with the landlord/agent, it might make things easier when you move out
  • Make sure you check you have a valid Gas Safety Certificate
  • Accurately record the condition of the property when you move in, by taking photos and/or videos, it may help you negotiate getting your deposit back when you move in.
  • Report any problems to your landlord/agent
  • Take meter readings for the utilities and notify the utility companies that there are new tenants. Ideally all tenants should have their name on the utility bills, but you may have to nominate a single person to hold the account with some utility providers, if this is the case then everyone should provide written confirmation to the named person that they take responsibility for the appropriate proportion of utility bills, and provide a non-term time address.
  • Full time students don’t pay Council Tax, for more information on this please see our page Council Tax 
  • Agree the house Rules with the other tenants and stick to them – if problems develop try to talk them through.
  • If everything is ok with the property, all you have to do is enjoy the year!

Problems when you move in

When you move in it is important that the landlord/agent comply with their obligations under the contract. Most landlords/agents do everything they are supposed to, but if you have a problem you need to tell your landlord/agent as soon as possible, they can only resolve a problem if they know about it! If there are problems please take a look at our page on Disrepair.


Safety & Security

Please take a look at our Personal Safety pages

Council Tax

Council Tax is a property based tax paid to the local authority where the accommodation is, and all full time students are exempt from paying it. However you must make sure that your local authority knows you are exempt otherwise they will charge you and non-payment will lead to prosecution.

For further information about Council Tax 

Getting along with your neighbours

If you are moving into accommodation in a residential area, spare a thought for your non-student neighbours. For you a new year and new accommodation should be a time of excitement and optimism, however, your non-student neighbour may fear the start of each academic year…new students, new problems.

Remember your neighbours know nothing about you, and if your predecessors have caused problems, like making lots of noise, leaving rubbish outside the house and generally disregarded their neighbours, then you may be viewed with hostility. It is up to you to make a good impression and reassure them that this year they have tenants who are going to be thoughtful and considerate.

We would recommend that when you first move in, introduce yourself to your neighbours, you can do this by going round and knocking on the door or by putting a card through their door, letting them know who you are and that you want to get along etc.


  • If you or others in the house have cars, try to park considerately.
  • Don’t store rubbish, put your bins out at the correct times and take them in afterwards.
  • Take a pride in the front of the house so it does not ‘stand out’ as a student house.
  • Think about the noise you make, don’t make lots of noise late at night, does your neighbour work shifts? Have they got young children? Try to be considerate to those living around you.

Getting along with our neighbours may seem obvious, but if they feel they can talk to you, and they have a problem, they may be more likely to tell you there is a problem rather than report you to the Council or Police.

Students are Good Neighbours

The Students’ Union is keen for students living off campus are seem positively and be part of the communities they live in. The Students’ Union Campaigns for community projects: Love Community

Students are Good Neighbours: General advice and information about planning house parties.

To help students introduce themselves to their neighbours the Students’ Union has produced postcards for you to put through your neighbours door. The Postcards are available at the beginning of the academic year from the SUHQ Reception, Students’ Union Advice Centre and Warwick Accommodation.

For information about what can happen if your neighbour complains about you see our page Neighbourhood Complaints against Students 

Television (TV) Licence information

You will need a TV licence to

  • Watch or record programs as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service
  • Download or watch BBC programs on iPlayer.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

If you are all listed on one tenancy agreement, joint & several liability, then you will need one licence for the house.

If you have individual tenancies you will each need a licence.

For information about TV licences, where to get it from etc see the TV Licencing 

If you do not need a licence, you should inform TV Licencing of this.

Gas Safety Certificate

It is a legal responsibility for a landlord to organise an annual gas safety check by a specialised engineer, which should result in a Gas Safety Certificate. They are also obliged to (a) issue a copy of the certificate to any existing tenant after a check (b) issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.

If a landlord doesn't do this, contact the local HSE office (0800 300 363) who have the option of prosecuting your landlord if they don’t comply – failure to follow gas safety requirements is a criminal offence. For more information about regulations on gas safety, see our housing safety page.

Gas Safe Register

Any engineer wanted to legally work on gas appliances and installations (e.g. a gas boiler) in a tenancy must be on the "Gas Safe Register". Any Gas Safe Registered engineer should have a special card which you should ask to see.

Carrying out gas work with a non-Gas Safe Registered engineer is not a good idea for your landlord. Breaching the Gas Safety Regulations is a criminal offence, with the Health & Safety Executive empowered to bring proceedings against the landlord/agent responsible. The standard penalty is a £6,000 fine per item and/or 6 months imprisonment. Your landlord could also invalidate their insurance cover.

If this is a problem that's affected you, contact either the Health and Safety Executive on 0800 300 363, or contact us at the Students’ Union Advice Centre.

Where to get help or support

If you have any questions or do not know who to talk to about any of the issues on this page then contact the Students’ Union Advice Centre