Philosophy, Politics, Economics!
The PPE Society is a student-run academic society with over 550 members - far more than just those who take the degree. We aim to engage with anyone who has an interest in any of our disciplines, bringing them together in one diverse, dynamic, and extremely active society.
We currently host:
- SPEAKER EVENTS - We encourage current and inciteful debate by hosting a variety of lectures from key note speakers. In the last academic year alone we have been lucky enough to host:
- Hans Martens, Chief Executive of the European Policy Centre
- David Owen, Chief European Economist at Jefferies International
- Jacques Reland, Head of European Research at Global Policy Centre
- John O'Neill, Professor of Political Economy (Manchester)
- Stephen Cave, Philosopher and writer
- Ian Goldin, Director of the Oxford Martin School (Oxford)
- THE PPE FORUM - Last year saw the inaugural PPE Forum, with academics and policymakers from around Europe descending on Warwick to discuss the Eurozone Crisis. Students were invited to watch presentations before engaging with the speaking panel in a lively debate. This year's Forum is entitled 'All Work and No Pay in 2013: The Automation of the Global Economy' and aims to discuss stagnating wage growth over recent decades which has strangely coincided with increased productivity.
- SOCIALS - We offer an excellent platform to network, socialise and meet current students with similar interests. We host a variety of socials from bar crawls to meals, curry nights to dinner discussions. We aim to cater to all tastes and want to get everybody involved over their three years at Warwick. For many, the highlight of their social year is the PPE BALL, held in February.
- FOREIGN TOUR - Last year, for the first time, the Society ventured out of the UK and explored the historic city of Berlin over 3 days. Building on the success of our first trip we have some exciting plans for how to make this trip even bigger and better - watch this space.
- PARENTING - For the last two years we have run a successful project to engage freshers into PPE, giving each fresher a 'Parent Couple' from whom they can get support and advice from throughout the year. For the 2013/14 year, all freshers are invited to a social on Monday 30th of September, where you will be introduced to your 'Parents'!
- PROFESSIONAL MENTORING - Last year we also set up an exciting scheme where students were matched with Warwick Alumni and business professionals to gain a real understanding of a particular industry, along with interview advice and CV guidance. Applications for this scheme will be opening in November.
- SPORT -The Society has an active and popular 5-a-side team which is open to all abilities. Anyone interested in football is warmly invited to get involved.
- DISCOUNTS - By joining our society you receive free entry to all of our events, discounts on merchandise and access to our mailing list to keep you up-to-date with all that is going on with PPE.
Access to all of this is gained through 'purchasing' a membership which is completely free! PPEists, EPAISers, and all single-subjecters, this is the society for you.
Looking forward to a fantastic year,
Your PPE Exec
Any other questions: email@example.com or J.Elliott@warwick.ac.uk
President: James Elliott
Vice President: Sean Markowicz
Secretary: Pascale Dorey
Social Secretary: Jonathan Kho
Forum Co-Ordinator: Oliver May
Talks Co-Ordinator: Lewis Gudgeon
Events Secretary: Laura Jeffery
Tour Secretary: Jon Hiscock
Marketing and Communications Secretary: Luisa Cerca
Charity Co-ordinator: Edward Woodford